Bean Burger Recipes

I was at a national burger chain the other day and noticed that they have a limited selection of turkey burgers. I decided to check them out and was amazed to find out that their standard teriyaki burger (it has beef patty, cheese, pineapple, lettuce, tomato, and teriyaki sauce) was a whopping 875 calories. The same teriyaki burger in turkey was 375 calories; it was dressed the same just turkey patty instead of beef.
    It got me to thinking and although I have been a "meat and potato man" my whole life I am working on changing that. I started looking into vegan and vegetarian cookbooks and even though I find it interesting it was a little off putting. Instead of promoting the health aspect of vegetarian diet the books were more rah rah animal rights and were extreme.
    I believe that extreme restrictive diets are one of the major problems with weight loss. I am trying a more moderate approach; for instance my family likes Hamburger Helper meals every once and a while. In order to make them a little healthy we have been substituting ground turkey instead of beef. We have been happy with the results. The turkey has a more neutral flavor and mingles with the spices better.  It has much less fat and calories and we start with a salad so we eat less of the Hamburger(turkeyburger) Helper.
    I was generally using ground beef almost daily, but now am substituting ground turkey and instead of using it almost daily am having roasted chicken breasts, and fish occasionally. I am eating a much healthier selection of food and much more vegetables. I am not frying food with oil I cook my vegetables with low sodium/ low fat chicken broth. It gives them flavor and does not have the added fat of oil. The little changes are easier to maintain and do not feel ""HARD"". It took me about 12-15 years to gain the 300 lbs to my weight of 540 lbs so it is gonna take a little time to take it off.

The following is a home made bean burger recipe that is HEALTHY.
2 (15.5 oz.) cans of pinto beans.
1 cup of  dry bread crumbs (can be plain or seasoned we use the Italian style )
2 eggs beaten
Seasoning to taste (suggest Mrs Dash house blend0
Sliced cheese of choice if desired

1) drain beans putting each can in separate bowl,  but keep juice  2) mash 1 can of beans  3) mix  all beans, bread crumbs, eggs and seasoning in medium bowl adding enough of the bean liquid for mixture to hold together without being wet  4) divide and form into 6 burgers  5) fry in small amount of olive oil turning only once, until crisp brown crust forms. If wanted you can melt cheese on burger once you turn. Dress on bun as desired.

You can also bake on 360 degree oven for about 20 minutes instead of frying.

Enjoy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is your favorite veggie??

Beverages- liquid fat

Journey Begins